Thursday, January 8, 2009

Colonial America

Today I worked 4 hours in a 5th grade classroom. I learned more about the colonies than I did while I was in grade school. Too bad I will never be able to use this information. I was greatly impressed that the book is not nearly as biased as I thought it would be. They even discussed that John Smith changed the way they allocated the fruits of the group...no more communism and went to capitalism...since they were starving to death. Most of this may have been lost on the children, but it was encouraging to hear it discussed.

I graded papers for four hours...this will make any grown up cry. I must report that the children are in serious need of additional work in decimals, capitalization of proper names, learning there v they're v their, spelling in general, and extremely needy in penmanship.

I am totally amazed at how my daughter can keep 34 kids in line for hours. And I had trouble managing one!

2 comments:

Stef said...

haha! loved this post. I got here via Jess' website. :) She should think of it this way... someday motherhood will seem completely simple to her. :)

Nice "meeting" you!

william said...

You rock, mom! Thanks for helping keep Jess sane...there are just some things that moms do better.