Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Family Night

We have a new tradition. I didn't want to tell you about it until I believed it really had become a tradition. Since we've been doing this for a couple of months now, I thought that I'd share.

I didn't think of this entirely on my own. When we first worked together, our partners were both Mormons and went home for a Family Night the same night of the week, each week, even during busy season. We weren't big fans then because while they were home with their families, we were at work. Then I have a friend who has a family night. She comes home early from work and prepares a big dinner. All of her children and grandchildren come over every week, three generations. They all live nearby, but this is the only time they're all together at the same time. I thought "Great idea, I can copy that", so I did. Oh, and we include a fourth generation!

We have had many a delicious meal. Tonight's may have been the absolute best. We're finding many of the recipes off of Pinterest. We had the best good old fashioned Yankee Pot Roast, mashed potatoes (using a new way of preparation thanks to Pioneer Woman), and roasted broccoli. We need to tweak the broccoli recipe, it was a bit too tangy.

After dinner we have entertainment. This is mostly the boys.....reading books, chasing them around, giving them baths. By the time the boys are clean and in PJs, things are cleaned up and we have dessert. Then everyone leaves with their leftovers and we grab a glass of wine, sit on the sofa, and smile.

1 comment:

W and J said...

DEFINITELY a tradition already. And one that I sure hope sticks through tax season. ;) ...or else my family will simply starve or get delivery pizza on Tues night. Ha!