Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and not just because I LOVE to eat. It just sits there, a bit away from the other holidays. It doesn't require much more than massive amounts of high calorie and high carbohydrate foods. Good thing we went for a walk this morning, even though it is so cold. It went below freezing the last couple of nights!

You can modify the menu to fit nearly any theme. Some even go without the bird, although I can't imagine that. Most of the menu items do not require tons of money. In fact, if you have a freezer this is a great time to buy a couple of turkeys and store them away. Safeway had turkeys for $6.77! But alas, I have only a frig that looks fabulous but holds almost nothing.

But mostly I love the day because not only is it about food, but it is about taking one day, a small moment, to think about all that we are grateful for and being together.

This year we changed up the mashed potatoes...we went with Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes and they were OUTSTANDING! I did get a little carried away, so we have plenty of leftovers.
I taught Ezra all about licking the spatula and beaters....he caught on real quick...but messy.
Ezra was sporting his Sturgis shirt, hence Dave's new nickname for him....Sturgis. Oh, and he has this trick where he scoots something along the floors that slides and crawls behind it. Who knows why, but it keeps him occupied.
Lucille was waiting for the dinner to all come together...and having fun watching Ezra. He actually sat still on her lap...until he grabbed her glasses and yanked them off...that was enough of that nonsense.
The boys, watching a little football....Ezra mostly climbed, that's his favorite past time.
Reading "Dear Zoo"....more than a few times

A good time was had by all...and everyone was sent home with leftovers. I definitely need to scale back the quantity next year.

I am thankful for so many things, and many of them you see here.

1 comment:

W and J said...

Awww, I like that last picture! He definitely LOVES those flip books...but can't say I'm not surprised. I still love those kinds. :)

And next time he licks the leftovers, he'll be in his bumbo...mashed potatoes aren't really considered a moisturizer for my hair.