Monday, January 10, 2011

Viva Las Vegas Stamp

At the urging of my friend Susan, I dashed off to Viva Las Vegas Stamps. Words cannot describe this place so I'm giving you a link to a short video.

I grabbed a cab (because it is so cold and I have no idea where this place is located) and the taxi line director gave me the oddest look because he thought I was a postage stamp collector. When I got in the cab I gave him the address and he gave me the oddest look. As we approached the area I saw why......it's located in a very seedy side of the strip. I know, the entire strip is seedy, but if you think that, you can not imagine what the seedy side looks like.

Finding the place was an adventure. It's a good thing I had a driver with a sense of humor and determined to find the place. He's lived here over 40 years, and driven a cab most of that time, and has never been here before. After a phone call, which was an adventure because I didn't write down the phone number and my iPhone Google app thought I was saying "viva las vegas dance", he called 411 about the time I googled it on the internet. We did this while pulled over to the curb across the street from the gay bath houses and wife swapping club, I kid you not.

We ended up driving around the back and finding this shack, and I'm being generous. The driver asked me if I really wanted to go in, and then he said he wouldn't leave me there. He was going to wait for 15 minutes and if I didn't come out he would come in.

I walked up and had to ring the bell so the guy could buzz me in. Should I have been concerned? After trotting down a dark little hall I walked in the door to a room crammed (and I mean stuffed) full of rubber stamps. This is more stamps than I have seen in my entire life. He makes his own and they have so many, and odd ones, that you could spend hours here. But I had the cab driver waiting for me. But I did some quick damage and got back to the cab. I will be returning to this store when I have more time and someone to share the adventure, other than the cab driver.

Oh, and there are cats everywhere in here. Long haired cats. They are laying around everywhere. Even on the tiny little counter. I didn't see the dog but he did bark a whole lot.

This place would be hell on earth for my dear husband.

No comments: