Thursday, July 4, 2013

Road Trip 2013 - Day Eight

Today we leave Keystone and say good-by to Annette. We're down to two bikes and our chase car and yet another day of fine weather. It did get a tad warm, but no rain, thunder, lightening, or high wind so we're calling it wonderful. Nothing that taking your shirt and wetting it in the sink can't fix, or if you're Bret, dunking your head in the sink.

It was a long day of riding. We went through three states.....South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. We saw plenty of antelope grazing in the fields along the highway (and yes, I hummed "Home, Home   On the range, where the deer and the antelope play" each time). We missed a turn and ended up in road construction on a gravel road. Our lunch was at the bowling alley in Broadus, MT, population 455.

Our big stop was at the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, location of Custer's Last Stand. I thought they did a very good job of explaining the battle, historical significance of the event, and honoring of both sides. Why, oh why does man continue to inflict harm on one another? And the government hasn't changed much either.

We arrived safely to our hotel in Billings, MT and we love it. The ladies that checked us in were fabulous, one is a CA transplant. Our room minimum is going to take a beating and may need to be adjusted. There was a little communication trouble and I realize I need to take more responsibility and help Dave. I was so enjoying being the fluff on the back of the bike.

Two of us went to Fiberworks, a quilt and fabric store. I was in heaven. The woman that owns this store is an artist. I saw fabrics and designs that I have never seen before. I will be purchasing from their website. The woman that helped us is yet another CA transplant. Very interesting discussion on why she moved here (husband's family) and what changes in lifestyle she has experienced. She was explaining how the weather isn't that bad, I'm not convinced. Then she explained the town is close to 100k population but including the surrounding communities it is 400k. Then she told us that if you need medical treatment for "big stuff" (explained as cancer treatment and most complicated surgeries) you had to go to Minnesota or Washington. If Dave tells you I moved here, look for my body.

Here's one of the MANY fabulous quilts. Just a little different than what you usually see.


Quick cocktail time and then my favorite road trip dining establishment, CRACKER BARREL! Great waitress, good food, low price of $17!

No comments: