Monday, July 8, 2013

Road Trip 2013 - Day Eleven

We planned to go from Kalispell, MT to Moscow, ID. The mileage seemed low but we might find an interesting stop that would take up some time.

We needed fuel and a comfort stop and found a delightful stop. It had all sorts of interesting "crap" and food. Huckleberry is the big thing in these parts. We bought a slice of huckleberry pie to share for dessert. I almost bought Christmas PJs but they just weren't quite cute and functional enough.

We arrived in Moscow, ID (pronounced Mos-coo) and still had too much time and energy (the others did, not me, it was getting upwards to 100 and I was melting) so "we" took out the iPhone, GPS, and old school paper map. After much discussion it was decided we could easily make it to Walla Walla, WA and Bret downloaded the route via his laptop to his GPS.

I used the sink to soak my shirt and buff to cool off. Then I walked across the street to buy Idaho postcards. We continue to purchase and mail a postcard in each state for our grandsons. The chain was broken in Idaho. The postcards were purchased but not mailed in Idaho. The post office was around the block and it was just too darn hot to search for it. We did mail them but it wasn't until Walla Walla. I was just so sad that the chain had been broken that I was giving up the postcard mailing. Later I got over my silliness and sent more postcards. I did miss out on WA, but we weren't there long and never saw anything interesting during our ride. Perhaps because it was so hot and a bit tense.

Remember a few days back when I told you I was going to take more responsibility and help Dave with directions? Well, about that. Today was a debacle.  It could be the heat. It could be iPhone maps. It could be my eye sight. In any case, it wasn't pretty. We did get to Walla Walla.

No comments: