Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What I Learned Today

Doing business over the internet you just do not have that personal relationship.  Are you saying "Duh" yet?

I pretend to be creative by scrapbooking and card making.  My craft room (according to Dave it is a "crap" room) is jam packed with stuff.  I frequent a website that is crack for card makers.  They have a gallery of samples and tons of companies you can order more stuff from.

I kept seeing this one company, Papertrey Ink, and just coveted their stamps.  So I placed a $57 order, I know...but you had to order $55 to not pay shipping, on February 4th.  They charged my credit card right away but then I didn't receive the order.  I anxiously awaited because I really wanted the stamps.  Every time the mail/UPS/FedEx went by I was hoping I would get my order.

Checking the website, there is no phone number in the contact, I sent an email.  They said it was shipped!  After several messages it was discovered that the post office said it was delivered.  But I didn't get it!  I checked with my mail carrier and neighbors, but no package!

Okay, now for the really bad part......I was basically told that it was "delivered" and my tough luck!  I am heart broken!  I even have another order set up, waiting for my first order to be received!

I don't know what the legal part is, but this is really bad business.   Who ticks off a crafter?  You know we chat with every body!  My entire Monday afternoon group knows I've been waiting for this order.  I've been telling them how wonderful the products look on the website so you know I'll be telling them what has happened.  I Googled this and it seems that MANY people have had this problem (not with Papertrey, just in general) so I'm not taking it personally.

Here's what I learned:

1.  Check out the company and know how they ship
2.  A vendor that has experience and runs it like a business will send an email when the order is received, when it is shipped, and give you a tracking number when it is shipped
3. The "contacts" should include a telephone number, otherwise you know they're not interested in talking to anyone
4. Always use a credit card so you can dispute the charges

No comments: