Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The "Delay" Ride

This was dubbed the "Delay" ride because we were stopped at many road construction spots. No flag people, there were red lights, with a long delay.

We met up at Starbucks and off we went to Geyersville. We went up the Silverado Trail, then took 128 through Calistoga and then to Geyersville. We had lunch at the Hoffman House. I was so excited because I LOVE the food here. Well.....this experience was not good. I'm ready to write them off, but Margaret made me promise to give them one more try....we'll see. The patio was shaded, but the service was so awful, and my lunch choice wasn't spectacular. It took TWO HOURS for lunch....way too long.

It was getting pretty warm and I did discuss activating the cooling vest.....I should have done this. We took Skaggs Spring Road from Geyersville. It started out cool under the canopy of trees, but as we neared Sonoma Lake (I never knew there was a lake in the area, all the boats trailered behind SUVs should have been a clue) the trees disappeared and the heat rocketed up over 90. This is a tiny two lane (I'm exaggerating) road with plenty of twists and turns. The RV did pull over and let us pass, unlike our Yosemite experience. We were shocked when we came around a corner and met up with two 18 wheelers coming the other way! And just as we came within 5 miles of the end of the road, we came upon this little hippy type community....who decides to live in a place like this? Well, Margaret informed us this is a nudist community. We teased her about how she knew this...she simply smiled and rolled her eyes....lol.

The road ended up on the coast at a "town" called Stewart's Point. There's a little grocery store, gas station, and most importantly....toilets! We didn't buy gas, but we did take advantage of the other amenities....along with at least a dozen other bikers.

My handsome husband is so kind to pose for me
Donna & Bret do not always pose for me.....
Scott & Margaret very kindly pose
And here we are!
If anyone should tell you that CA is over populated and in need of open space, just show them this......within 100 miles of SF
There are plenty of dairy farms
Hard to tell, but plenty of wild flowers along the road
Nice riding...although I failed to take photos along the Coast on Highway 1...amazing scenery



On our way to Tiburon for dinner at Sam's
We left Tiburon at 8, arriving home at 9.....perfect timing since it was close to 100 degrees at home and cooled to low 80's by the time we returned. 320 miles with good friends....GREAT day!

No comments: