Saturday, July 30, 2011

Jonesboro, Arkansas

We left Branson by 7 am after a very tasty hot breakfast buffet. Good thing because it was hot again. Not like the first day, but the third day of this we knew would take it's toll. The riding was very nice. The roads are in good condition, much better than in CA, but that's not saying much. If you think the roads are bad while driving in a car, just imagine what it's like on a motorcycle. Although I'm still VERY impressed with the smooth ride on this bike.

We thought we might stop by and visit with the Maxwell's in West Plains, MO but it was getting way too hot and we wanted to get to our destination and get off the bike. It is very green during the summer time in the Midwest, I think because of rain and humidity. If you haven't experienced humidity, you are very lucky. The air is so heavy it can be hard to breathe. But your skin is really nice from the moisture!

We arrived in Jonesboro just in time for lunch. We lucked upon a GREAT BBQ place. We knew it was good because the parking lot was packed. We decided to stay here for the night and ended up at a new Candlewood Suites. It's more for an extended stay, but it is clean, well located, and has FREE laundry. I think our friend, who loathes chain hotels, is a new convert. She LOVES this place. And she even did laundry, which she chides me about on every other trip. But with the humidity, your clothes have the possibility of mildew. My jeans have stretched out so much that I can take them off without unzipping them! I wish it was because I've lost tons of weight, but that's not the case.

We ended up at the movies because there's no pool here and it's too hot to do anything else. We thought we had the guys agreeing to take us to Hobby Lobby, but that didn't fly. They did promise to take us in another town though....and they WILL. It was pretty funny trying to get a movie that we could all agree on. We ended up at everyone's second choice, Cowboys and Aliens.....good thing the admission was only $6 each. And we all shared one tub of $6 popcorn.

The funny part, of which there are no photos, is the outfits that the ladies wore. You see, it is very difficult to look stylish for a night out while being safe on a motorcycle. We had on lovely black capris with pretty tops and then....the attire for the feet was so industrial. We both changed once we were off the bike, but there were plenty of seconds looks when we were getting on and off the bikes. I looked at Margaret and laughed at her and she told me to knock it off because I didn't look so hot either....so we stood there pointing at each other and laughing. But there would be no permanent evidence!

We ended up having dinner at Ruby Tuesday's because this is a dry county and this is the only place to get a drink. Alas, there was a Cracker Barrel right next door. I was promised that I would be dining at a Cracker Barrel very soon. That gift card is burning a hole in my wallet. So good evening....I'm going to Google a Cracker Barrel for breakfast....I don't want them to forget their promise..and I'm having a cobbler, even if it's breakfast!

No comments: