Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back Home!!!!!!

The sun was shining and it was still a bit chilly....perfect conditions for our ride home.  As we headed out of the desert and began to see some trees, Donna declared "TREES!!!".  I hadn't realized how much I missed seeing trees.  I know there's plenty of beauty in the desert, yet I don't think I really appreciate it. There were plenty of twists on the road, and we were behind yet another crazy RV driver.  The first time Dave went to pass, the crazy old guy must have been looking in his mirrors, or something crazy, and came over in to the lane and squeezed us.  Not a good feeling.  Dave eased back, waited, and then successfully passed on the next attempt.

We were on State Route 120, Tioga Pass Road, headed towards Yosemite.  There is a stretch that has "moguls" (that's what Dave calls them) or dips as the sign warns.  It feels like riding on a roller coaster.  At the end I was feeling a bit nauseous.  Then we pulled in to Lee Vining, CA.  This was like the Twilight Zone for us....and not just because the price of gasoline was absolutely outrageous.
I think it was the crowds.  We have been in sparsely populated areas and with all the people and activity in this parking lot and market, it was making us a little anxious.  We were country bumpkins back in the big city.

We rode over the Tioga Pass, which you should really do sometime.  It's closed most of the year because of snow, so plan ahead and make this drive.  As we headed in to the park there was a very long line.  They had a Ranger walking down the line of vehicles and if you had passes, they waved you in.  So you know we got waved in....and now we're totally in the money making zone on that annual pass!!!

This is where the madness begins.  We were not the only ones enjoying Yosemite this fine day.  It took us 90 minutes to drive through the Park.  It was very stressful because the people were everywhere and not minding their driving.  We had to be on the defense the entire time...and we're not accustomed to traffic after one week in the desert.

We didn't stop until we hit Oakdale....at McDonald's.....because I'm now LOVING the snack size Rolo ice cream desserts.  Dave and I split a burger and then he eats most of the fries and I order the dessert.  We're such a team.  After all this road food, I didn't gain any weight on this trip.  I think because I wasn't able to snack, which is my weakness.

This entire trip, including gas, hotel, food, & entertainment, was right around $1,600...for nine days...SWEET.  I told you it was a good value.

We made it  home safely and we're already planning on our next adventure.....

No comments: