Saturday, August 11, 2012

Swim Time

We had the boys for the entire day and it was a warm summer day so we figured the pool would be a perfect activity. As soon as T wakes up from his am nap, we start packing up to go to the pool.  The kids told us we should borrow the double stroller, but we figured we were fine with our umbrella style stroller...little error....T is very heavy!!  Anyway, we're all ready to rock and roll....off we go to walk to the Club pool.  I'm wearing flip flops, big mistake, I had a blister that lasted almost a week after the walk.  That's because our house is about one-half mile from the pool.  And E walked the entire way there!

I'm holding E's hand, while he's walking on the berms, or whatever he can find to explore.  I could tell he was getting a little weary, and it was so far.  I thought I was going to pick him up and then I got the look from Dave.  He told me I can't baby him..... but he is a baby!  Now E is chattering the entire walk and Dave said "if he can talk, he can walk".  E never asked to be picked up, or even slowed down. What a trooper.

Living so close to the Club we keep an "active membership" so we can use the facilities.  Mostly that's the little gym for workouts.  We also have pool privileges and the pool is fabulous.  Dave has a love affair with this place.  He has such fond memories of his youth spent here.  He even said it is a strange sense being at the pool, sort of deja vu.

We staked out an area in the shade.  I sat on the lounge chair with T, big mistake, I sat in a wad of gum.  Why don't people throw their gum in the trash can?  Fortunately I was able to get this off when we got home (LOVE Amway stain remover).  T is such a content little guy.  We put a blanket out and he was happy to sit on it and eat crackers.  Dave and E went straight to the pool.
When you get in the pool, do you jump right in?  Or do you ease in, little by little?  Dave's a jumper and I'm an easer.  The pool was a perfect temperature and I was able to just walk right in. The pool is one huge pool with a separation to make it swim team size.  We kept to the side that starts at 2 feet and works up to 4 feet.  This is perfect for E.  He can stand at the shallow end.  E did get a little cold...isn't he cute in his Spiderman swim trunks?  Thank you Swenson cousin for the hand-me-down.

There's a snack bar at the pool, so we decided to have lunch poolside.  I walked over with E to get something.  They have photos of stuff right by the order window.  So of course E selected a Butterfinger for lunch (Sorry J, I know you're screaming about now).  I suggested "growing food" but he wanted a Butterfinger.  I'm sure he had no idea what a Butterfinger is, since his mama would NEVER allow that.  I'm the grandma, so of course he got a Butterfinger.  He ate half.  Dave and I split a burger and fries, sharing with T.
I lathered up the boys with zinc sunscreen.  They are both pretty white, most especially E.  I see by the photo that I could have done a better job rubbing it in.

I think Dave will be swimming with E for lessons next Spring, it's time....and J has her hands full so it most likely will be Dave.  It is SPECTACULAR living so close to our grandsons..oh, and their parents too.

1 comment:

W and J said...

Glad to hear you two survived the boys with flying colors. :) We went to the pool today and E starting "swimming" or at least moving himself away from the steps. I'm sure he'll LOVE LOVE LOVE doing swim lesson..ESP with his way cool grandpa.