Sunday, August 10, 2008

What I learned today

I actually got my lazy butt out of bed early enough to go to Sunday school. I do not like to get up that early so it was an effort. It was a new class for me and the lesson was on Jesus' role as a rabbi. I felt really silly, but when they asked for praises and prayer requests I asked for help with the neighborhood situation. Just when I thought this was all going away, it rears it's ugly head again.

Then on to worship today, which was based on Phillipians 4:4-9.....

Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Since God orders our footsteps, I know this is meant for me. Since I went all Jesus on my emails to the clothesline haters, I must now be careful to be the light and be really loving and respectful because everyone knows I'm a Christian and will be watching. Sort of why I have never put a fish on my car.....I'm pretty sure my driving is not Christ like....although I'm working on being much better.

Oh, and that I should move on and think about other things. The preacher, Steve, read a snippet from the Randy Pausch book where he summarizes life according to Winnie the Pooh....you can decide to be a Tigger or an Eoyre....and I want to be a Tigger and I think that's what God wants us to be. Steve mentioned how we can pick out one thing about worship that we really dislike and then ignore the other 99 things that were really great. What you choose to think about, dwell on, will affect what happens in your life, walk with God, etc. And if you're dwelling on the bad stuff, what happens to all the good stuff? Don't deny the bad stuff, but enjoy the good stuff that God brings in to your life. This opens up your life to God. You should deal with the problem and then turn your focus on what is going right.

Where's your focus?

1 comment:

william said...

Deep stuff, moms.
Funny, you said the exact reason why there's no fish on MY car! Ha!

On the clothesline haters topic, C.S. Lewis had some insight in MERE CHRISTIANITY, Book III, section 9. Charity on this topic.
"The rule for all of us is perfectly simple. Do not waste time bothering whether you "love" your neighbour; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love
him. If you injure someone you dislike, you will find yourself disliking him more. If you do him a good turn, you will find yourself disliking him less. There is, indeed, one exception. If you do him a good turn, not to please
God and obey the law of charity, but to show him what a fine forgiving chap you are, and to put him in your debt, and then sit down to wait for his "gratitude," you will probably be disappointed. (People are not fools: they
have a very quick eye for anything like showing off, or patronage.) But whenever we do good to another self, just because it is a self, made (like us) by God, and desiring its own happiness as we desire ours, we shall have
learned to love it a little more or, at least, to dislike it less."

That Lewis. Somehow speaks fluid truth to the hungry (or thirsty) ear.