Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mountain View, Arkansas 4.0

What a difference a little rain makes. The temperature cooled down and it's actually very nice when you don't feel like you're baking in a 400 degree oven. We decided we were safe to leave at a reasonable time, 9 am after a delicious breakfast at the B&B. We had a beautiful ride and I never put on the cooling vest. We pulled in for gas and then the skies opened up for about 20 minutes and just poured. It was perfect timing. We chatted up a woman Harley rider that had a very interesting story...and I'm sure we were only getting a tiny part. There was a guy having breakfast at a table in the middle of the store (bacon & eggs with toast)....really odd.

On the way back to Mountain View, we detoured in to Batesville for a look at their historical district. Can I just say that they are using that term loosely? It was old. The street had an eclectic collection of businesses. Margaret introduced me to Yellow Box flip flops. They were having a 50% sale and I snagged a pair. They are like walking on pillows, LOVE them. We also ate at a place called the Greasy Spoon...really....it has a 50's motif. I was introduced to another delicacy of the area, fried bologna sandwiches. I am ashamed to say that it was delicious. It is served on white bread (I can not remember the last time I ate white bread....not sourdough or anything like that...Wonder Bread style) with a quarter inch slab of bologna, thick sliced onion and tomato with mayonnaise. I know it sounds horrible and unhealthy, but it is really good.

When we returned to the B&B, Scott & Margaret went to the Soda Fountain for dessert (Scott got another banana split!) but we rested and read. Dave is on the second book of the Hunger Games series and I started the first book. I can not believe I'm reading this story. The whole premise is depressing and gruesome. I'm not sure I'll read the second one....we'll see.

For dinner we had cheese & crackers from Yoder's Cupboard and finished off the wine from the earlier liquor run. It wasn't until after 8 that we realized we didn't eat a full dinner. Oh well, we're not starving here.

We met some of the other guests and they have interesting stories. They're teaching us quite a bit about all the instruments, especially the dulcimer.

I'm pretty sure we've covered this area and we're ready to move on. If it hadn't been so hot we may have done more...perhaps spent some time at the Folk Music Center.

No comments: